Saturday 1 August 2015

Trending


Unlike my mother, I'm not a big fan of flowering plants.
I more prefer the unusual, conversation starter type of plants.
This is where succulents come in.
A succulent is a plant that has adapted to become drought resistant. This means there's an excess of flesh on the roots, stems and leaves of the plant. This is due to it developing an excess of water-storing tissue which allows for it to go at least 2 weeks without being watered.
(NB: It is recommended that you use a spray bottle to mist during this time.)
They enjoy intermittent bouts of sunlight but not midday sun as it can sometimes blister the plant.


I've searched for the name of this succulent but I've come up empty-handed.
This was my first purchase and I've had a lot of fun with it so far.
This is the 3rd home it's had since January and it's time to propagate once again!
Below I  have placed a few leaves that either fell or were removed into a separate bowl to grow.
Once miniture rosettes begin to form I will arrange them how I want them to grow.
For now this is just a snazzy resting place for my little plants-to-be.


 Out of all my succulents, my flapjack is definitely one of my favourites.
It was my second purchase for my succulent garden.
I enjoy misting this little joy and watching the water collect in the center.
I also love when it gets the afternoon sun and the leaves begin to turn red.
I tried re-potting and was stunned at the root system.
This entire flat tray dish is lined with nothing but the flapjack roots which then knotted with my aloe Vera.
They're inseparable now. 
Still trying to find other succulents that would compliment these two.

(Front: Kalanchoe Luciae Flapjack, Back: Decorative Aloe Vera)

My most recent purchase is the Echeveria.
I'm still deciding if I wish to place this little guy in with my flapjack or wait for another tray to create a rosette garden.
It caught my eye in the supermarket at the plant section.
I was browsing looking for cacti when I came across this little cutie.
I'm excited to grow some more of these as I'm intrigued with the rosette formation.

(Echeveria runyonii)
 I HAD a haworthia limifolia but my puppy thought it looked better out of the soil and chewed to smithereens. 
He's okay and I hope and have been trying to help the plant recover.
FINGERS CROSSED.
I will do an update post at a later date with new growth, re-potting and the process.
Hopefully I can find a reliable supplier for my new hobby.
I look forward to building my succulent garden.
Have any suggestions, leave it in the comment section below!
Happy Gardening! Stay inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, feel free to leave a comment!